BRINGING STUDENTS TOGETHER TO NETWORK AND CELEBRATE:
OUM’s Annual Student Conference and Graduation, 26-28 May in Brisbane
This time of the year is always exciting at OUM. Our annual Student Conference and Graduation is in a few weeks and at the Brisbane Airport Conference Centre for its second year. Largely focused on the interests and needs of our Australia/New Zealand/Samoa students, each event provides students with an exceptional opportunity to network and build community with other OUM students, distinguished speakers and guests, faculty, and staff.
This year’s event is 26-28 May, opening with a Welcome Reception on Friday evening. The rest of the weekend will feature outstanding guest speakers, student, faculty, and alumni presentations, and research projects shared as students compete for the Second Annual SGIN Student Research Prize sponsored by the St. George Institute of Neurosciences in New South Wales.
The highlight of each Conference is always the opportunity for students to watch colleagues receive their medical degree and celebrate with family, friends, and faculty during the Graduation Ceremony and Reception on Saturday, 27 May.
Guest speaker highlights this year include:
- Professor Lisa Jackson-Pulver AM, Board Member, Australian Medical Council and Deputy Vice Chancellor, University of Sydney
- Dr. Michael Wagels, Staff Specialist, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon, Princess Alexandra Hospital
- Dr. Padma Rao, Director, The Royal Children’s Hospital Melbourne
- Dr. Raju Laksmana, Director of Training for Specialist International Medical Graduates in Psychiatry, Clinical Director of Mental Health Services, Sunshine Private Hospital
A few of the University speakers and their presentations will be:
- Professor Athol Mackay, OUM Vice Chancellor, “Tips for Student Success”
- Professor Paddy Dewan, OUM Dean for Australia and New Zealand, “Why Research Isn’t for Nerds” and “Giving Back Through Your Medical Career: Outreach Opportunities”
- Juliana Chewlit, OUM Graduating Student, “The Life of a Samoan Medical Student”
- Jessica Bell, Third-Year Student, OUMSA President, and Editor-in-Chief, OUM Student Magazine, “Best Article Award”
A limited number of conference tickets are available for prospective students who have progressed well into the admissions process. Those interested in purchasing a conference ticket should contact their Admissions Counselor or email@example.com. More information about the conference, tickets, and accommodations may be found in the Events section of OUM’s website.