OUM students come from a variety of backgrounds. While the basic sciences are foundational to our curriculum, a science major is not a prerequisite for acceptance to OUM. The Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) and the Graduate Australian Medical School Admissions Test (GAMSAT) are not required, as OUM’s curriculum provides the basic science modules through its required Introduction to Medicine course.
Our Admissions Panel takes a holistic approach for every application, taking into consideration the overall quality of your academic performance and whether you exhibit the intellectual curiosity, discipline, and empathy that are characteristic of successful physicians.
- All candidates must have completed a bachelor’s degree or higher at an accredited and recognized tertiary institution.
- Applicants are expected to have a credit-level degree or GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, or its equivalent.
Since all instruction at OUM is in English, students must be fully fluent in the language. Candidates whose first language is not English may be exempt from this requirement if their degree is from a university whose curriculum is delivered in English. Candidates whose native language is not English may need to demonstrate fluency by submitting testing results from one of the services which evaluate language proficiency. We accept the following English language tests:
- IELTS (International English Language Testing Service at www.ielts.org). A minimum score of 6.5 is required.
- TOEFL iBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language at www.toefl.com) is administered by the Educational Testing Service. A minimum score of 100 is required.
English language test scores must be submitted from the testing service directly to the OUM Admissions Office.
The following items must be submitted in order to apply for admission to Oceania University of Medicine:
- Completed online application.
- $250* non-refundable application fee
- Certified or official academic college transcripts (from all institutions)
- Confirmation of English proficiency (TOEFL score, if not a native speaker)
- Essay on why you want to become a physician
- Three letters of recommendation (at least one from a physician)
- Professional resume
- Background check or Letter of Good Standing from state police or federal law enforcement authorities on official letterhead (Required if accepted to OUM)
- Health certification from physician, including immunisation records (Required if accepted to OUM)
*Fees are payable in Australian or New Zealand dollars by residents of those countries only. Residents of other countries should pay in US dollars.
Please submit your application electronically.
Applications are not reviewed until all documentation and fees have been received.
The application fee may be paid by check (US only) or credit card.
If you successfully meet the basic admissions requirements, and you have submitted your online application and paid the application fee, your Admissions Counselor will review all of your material and make a recommendation to the Admissions Panel. If you are accepted for an interview, you will meet via Zoom with the Admissions Selection Committee, which is comprised of faculty. This interview focuses on personal qualities and attributes agreed to be essential to both the study and the practice of medicine, based on internationally accepted criteria for medical school selection. The qualities assessed during the interview are:
- Motivation to become a physician
- Flexibility in learning style
- Communication skills
The official decision regarding acceptance is typically made within approximately ten days after the personal interview. Applicants are notified via email.