OUM students come from a variety of backgrounds. While the basic sciences are foundational to our curriculum, a science major is not a prerequisite for acceptance to OUM. The Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) and the Graduate Australian Medical School Admissions Test (GAMSAT) are not required, as OUM’s curriculum provides the basic science modules through its required Introduction to Medicine course.
Our Admissions Panel takes a holistic approach for every application, taking into consideration the overall quality of your academic performance and whether you exhibit the intellectual curiosity, discipline, and empathy that are characteristic of successful physicians.
- All candidates must have completed a bachelor’s degree or higher at an accredited and recognized tertiary institution.
- Applicants are expected to have a credit-level degree or GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, or its equivalent.
Since all instruction at OUM is in English, students must be fully fluent in the language. If your native language is not English, but you have completed a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, or PhD from a university whose curriculum is delivered in English, you may be exempt from this requirement. Otherwise, applicants may demonstrate fluency with a minimum score, as indicated below, on a standardized test administered by one of the following testing services:
- IELTS (International English Language Testing Service – at www.ielts.org) – achieving a minimum score of 6.5.
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language at www.toefl.com is administered by the Educational Testing Service) – minimum test score of 577 with a TWE (Test of Written English) score of 5. Scores must be available for both TOEFL and TWE; or
- Computer-based TOEFL – minimum score of 233 with an Essay Rating (ER) score of 5.
- Scores must be submitted directly to the OUM Admissions Office from the testing service.
The following items must be submitted in order to apply for admission to Oceania University of Medicine:
- Completed online application.
- $250* non-refundable application fee ($100 will be credited to tuition payment, upon enrollment)
- Certified or official academic college transcripts (from all institutions)
- Confirmation of English proficiency (TOEFL score, if not a native speaker)
- Essay on why you want to become a physician
- Three letters of recommendation (at least one from a physician)
- Professional resume
- Background check or Letter of Good Standing from state police or federal law enforcement authorities on official letterhead (Required if accepted to OUM)
- Health certification from physician, including immunisation records (Required if accepted to OUM)
*Fees are payable in Australian or New Zealand dollars by residents of those countries only. Residents of other countries should pay in US dollars.
Please submit your application electronically and mail additional documents to:
United States and Canada
Oceania University of Medicine
400 Rella Boulevard Suite 123-201
Montebello, NY 10901
Australia, New Zealand, and other countries:
Medical Education Services Australia Pty Ltd
Australian Agent for Oceania University of Medicine
Level 17, 31 Queen Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Applications are not reviewed until all documentation and fees have been received.
The application fee may be paid by check (US only) or credit card.
If you successfully meet the basic admissions requirements, and you have submitted your online application and paid the application fee, your Admissions Counselor will review all of your material and make a recommendation to the Admissions Panel. If you are accepted for an interview, you will meet via Zoom with the Admissions Selection Committee, which is comprised of faculty. This interview focuses on personal qualities and attributes agreed to be essential to both the study and the practice of medicine, based on internationally accepted criteria for medical school selection. The qualities assessed during the interview are:
- Motivation to become a physician
- Flexibility in learning style
- Communication skills
The official decision regarding acceptance is typically made within approximately ten days after the personal interview. Applicants are notified via email.